Balliol College Archives & Manuscripts

Back to: HOME > Archives and Manuscripts > Collections > Summary Catalogue

Records of the 'Balliol Earthworks Survey' directed by JP Maitland, 1923-1938.

Material concerning the ‘Balliol Earthworks Survey’ directed by JP Maitland, 1923-1938, dealing with Balliol sites in Scotland and France and associated archaeological, historical and genealogical matters (see also MISC 95H and MISC 96). [ref MISC 95.A.]

1. JP Maitland, typescript ‘Some notes on the early history of the family of Balliol, with special reference to their continental estates’, Feb. 1924.

 

2. JP Maitland et al., photographic copy of a survey taken June 23-26 1924 (detailed plan to a precise scale, with a section across the main mound) of the existing remains of the Balliol family castle at Bailleul-en- Vimeu (alias Bailleul-Bellifontaine), which is a village ca 6 miles south of Abbeville; immediately to the south of the village, the ground rises to a plateau on which the castle stood, commanding the valley. In 1923, the site was completely overgrown, but the substructure of the castle was intact; the 1924 survey was made with some difficulty because of the overgrowth.

3. JP Maitland, photograph ‘Site of home of original Balliol family’, Bailleul, Orme, France: showing two grassy mounds, 29 Sept 1924. No.109 of the same series as in MISC 96.

4. JP Maitland to FF Urquhart, letters 10/7/1924 – 13/11/1925.

 

 

5. Cutting from the Weekly Scotsman concerning Bailleul in Normandy and its imagined connections with the Balliols of Scotland, n.d.

6. JP Maitland, typed extracts from R de Belleval ‘Jean de Bailleul roi d’Ecosse...’ ( Paris 1866), 1928.

     

7. JP Maitland to FF Urquhart, letters and enclosures 1925-1931 (found in 1948 on Staircase XXIII among papers left by KN Bell), including material and photographs concerning the location of the birthplace of John de Balliol King of Scotland: in 1928 (letter of 25/3/1928) the supposed site was covered by a farm (photographs 734 & 735) situated at entrance (approaching from the direction of Saigneville) to the village of Mons-Boubert alias Mons-en-Vimeu. click here for images of documents

8. JP Maitland to RC Reid, letters and enclosures 1937-1938 (presented to the Library by RCR, 1952) including material (with a plan) concerning the remains of a castle at Tours-en-Vimeu, surveyed 1937, and its comparison with the Motte of Urr.

One relevant publication mentioned is Trans Dumfriesshire and Galloway Nat. Hist. & Antiqu. Soc ., 1932-2, pp 235-242; see http://users.quista.net/dgnhas/

[back to top]

- John Jones


You do not need to request permission to download or print one copy of any of the images on these pages for your personal private study or research purposes.
You do need to request permission in writing to use any of these images for any publication in any format, including any use on a website.

The archives and manuscriptss of Balliol College are open by appointment to enquirers in person at the Historic Collections Centre in St Cross Church, Holywell.
Enquiries should be sent in writing (email or post) to the Archivist.
There is no charge for Archive enquiries, but donations for Archive purposes are always appreciated.
Updated 11.viii.14
 
Balliol College
All rights reserved © 2017