The College has had ecclesiastical patronage since the 13th century, and as late as 1918 acquired the advowson of several additional parishes. There have been many changes in the last hundred years as a result of exchanges, amalgamations and rationalisation. As a result, in many cases the College's patronage is now shared (e.g. Abbotsley, a Balliol parish since the 14th century, is now associated with Great Gransden, Little Gransden & Waresley, which had no historic link with the College). But in some cases, e.g. Long Benton, a Balliol parish since the 14th century, the sole patronage of both modern parishes remains in the College's hands.
A complete list of the benefices which the College still has an interest in is given below. See also the Gazetteer.
For records pertaining to College livings, see links in the Summary Catalogue.
The College values its links to these benefices, which are coordinated by a Committee of Fellows under the Chairmanship of the Chaplain, the Revd Bruce Kinsey.
All images are copyright Balliol College.
The archives and manuscript collections of Balliol College are open by appointment to enquirers in person in their new accommodation at St Cross Church, Holywell.
Enquiries should be sent in writing (email or post) to the Archivist.
There is no charge for Archive enquiries, but donations for Archive purposes are always appreciated.